I’m Rachael and I created Scorpio Book Dreams as an outlet for my book obsession. I have ME/CFS so spend A LOT of time reading. The escapism of books has made my condition more bearable and the bookish community have been life-savers.
I’m an English Lit graduate who is currently trying to decide my career direction. I have a gorgeous labrador called Roux (yes, from Chocolat) who is a complete water baby – he would live in his paddling pool, if he was allowed. As well as reading, I love creative crafts like journalling and cross-stitch.
I’ll read pretty much anything and I’m always willing to give any book a go. I’m one of the Harry Potter generation and was only 9 when the first book was released. It was my first major book obsession and the electric atmosphere surrounding new releases in the series is something that I probably won’t experience again.
Alongside J.K. Rowling, some of my favourite authors include Jane Austen, the Brontës, Sarah J Maas, Maggie Stiefvater, Philip Pullman, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Leigh Bardugo, Katherine Arden, Elena Ferrante, George R.R. Martin, and Stephen King.
Top 5 Favourite Books (at the moment!):
- Pride and Prejudice – I know it’s a cliche for this to be one of my favourite books but this is a classic love story based on misunderstandings and stubbornness that is still used as a template for books today.
- Harry Potter Series – My love for this series seems to grow and grow. Hermione was the best role model growing up. She was proud of her bookishness and love of learning, and she inspired so many girls not to hide their intelligence.
- The Song of Achilles – This book is pretty much perfect. I love Greek mythology which is the reason I first picked it up. My heart was broken by the end but it was so worthwhile. I’m always recommending this book.
- The Scorpio Races – This is one of those books that feels like it was written just for me. The evocative writing captures the dangers and lures of Thisby, and Sean and Puck are incredible characters.
- The Bear and the Nightingale – This is a new addition to my top 5 books but this atmospheric fantasy series is incredible.