ACOTAR Re-Read (Contains Spoilers)
I thought it might be fun to blog my thoughts and questions as I was rereading A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury and A Court of Wings and Ruin. I have a terrible memory so I’d forgotten quite a few of the details and plot threads so it was interesting to reread the books with the knowledge of what happens. Obviously, there will be SPOILERS!
A Court of Thorns and Roses
- I’d forgotten how frustrating Feyre’s family were in the opening chapters. They’re so nasty and ungrateful, and their treatment of Feyre borders on emotional abuse. I admire Feyre for helping them survive at all.
- It was unfair of Feyre’s mother to place such a burden on her. It was a huge responsibility asking the youngest child to make sure the family was taken care of.
- Tamlin wants to be different and declares his heroic intentions. Lucien accuses him of soft-heartedness. This suggests that Tamlin really was trying to reform if his best friend commented on his changed behaviour.
- The bond between Tamlin and Lucien is much deeper than I’d remembered.
- Tamlin withholds too much information from Feyre. Dangerous.
- Tamlin and Feyre recognise loneliness in each other. They needed each other at this moment so the relationship works. Tamlin did help Feyre heal a bit.
- Whereas Rhysand always fights for his family and Court, Tamlin gives up hope and resigns himself to his fate. Hard to fault him as not everyone is as strong as Rhysand.
- Tamlin did a huge amount for Feyre’s family without expecting any return.
- When rereading the section Under the Mountain, it’s obvious that too much happens for Feyre and Tamlin to work as a couple. Both are emotionally broken and are no longer the same people.
- Feyre and Tamlin are short-sighted, making mistakes like kissing when Amarantha could catch them.
- The horrific final task psychologically traumatises Feyre.
- Rereading this section shows how Rhysand kept Feyre sane during the tasks by giving her something to focus on.
- Rhysand and Feyre have similar demons which they choose to deal with differently than Tamlin would. Fundamentally more alike after being Under the Mountain.
A Court of Mist and Fury
- What comes after the happy ending?
- Neither Feyre or Tamlin are handling their PTSD well. They don’t communicate at all.
- The tithe is a brutal custom. Is Ianthe influencing Tamlin now he’s more vulnerable? The mercy Tamlin showed in ACOTAR is missing.
- It must have hurt Rhysand how much Feyre thinks she hates him.
- Feyre is suppressing her desires to please Tamlin. He must seem like her only constant in this new life.
- When Feyre tries to express her feelings, Tamlin makes it about himself. His rage is an example of emotional abuse.
- Their relationship has become toxic. So bad for each other.
- Tamlin is also lashing out at Lucien which is hard to witness after the evidence of their deep friendship in ACOTAR.
- Lucien is cowardly regarding Tamlin but he does have more to risk by challenging him. Not a true friendship if he can’t challenge Tamlin without fear of reprisal?
- Rhysand’s parents prove the mating bond is not always right for marriage. Hinting at Lucien and Elain?
- Definitely hints of a relationship between Azriel and Mor. Was Mor always intended to be gay or was this a last minute change?
- Jurian-Miryam-Drakon mirror Tamlin-Feyre-Rhysand?
- I think if Feyre had communicated more effectively with Tamlin after leaving, then maybe some of the events could have been avoided. Or was the letter enough? Tamlin might have believed she was coerced into writing it.
- Lucien seems broken by the Spring Court.
- Mor’s decision to help Feyre in chapter 51 shows what Lucien should have done as a true friend.
- At this point, Tamlin is almost totally villified, which contradicts a lot of ACOTAR.
- You have to be strong to survive the Cauldron so I can understand Nesta but would Elain really have survived?
- The mating bond between Lucien and Elain seems too convenient. I thought mating was rare?
A Court of Wings and Ruin
- Tamlin allowed Lucien to complete rite with Ianthe in his stead! What a horrible friend.
- Was Feyre short-sighted leaving the Spring Court in ruins and unprotected?
- Why did Lucien finally decide to leave the Spring Court? Purely for Elain?
- How rare is the mating bond supposed to be? It seems like it has to go both ways but can be rejected.
- Refreshing to have Feyre and Lucien finally speaking the truth to each other.
- Nesta is still unlikeable. Awful how she fawns over Elain but is cruel to Feyre. Just because Nesta knew Feyre could protect them, it doesn’t make it right that she should have to.
- I’d love to know more about Azriel’s backstory.
- Hints at a connection between Azriel and Elain. They seem to complement each other.
- Nesta took power from the Cauldron. Sheer strength.
- Sense of attraction and understanding between Cassian and Nesta. Please not another mating bond though!
- Viviane sounds amazing and so brave. Would love a short story about her.
- If Helion is Lucien’s father, that makes Lucien heir to the Day Court. Will this be addressed in future books?
- I’d totally forgotten that Tamlin claimed he always intended to fight Hybern. This chimes with his behaviour in ACOTAR.
- Azriel definitely exhibits out of character behaviour regarding Elain.
- Tamlin saves Feyre from King of Hybern, proving he is still capable of kindness despite making some spectacularly awful choices.
- I still don’t understand why Mor doesn’t tell Azriel she’s gay? They’ve lived hundreds of years together and no-one has suspected or thought it might be time to confront the issue?
- Feyre’s father rallying an army is unbelievable. Just doesn’t seem in character. How did he even know what was happening?
- I need Cassian and Nesta together!
- I’d love to read more about Eris. Seems like he’s hinting he was protecting Mor.
Thanks for reading all my ramblings. I definitely noticed more inconsistencies upon rereading the series but I love the characters so much that it’s easier to forgive. What are your main issues with the series? Any questions you’re desperate to get answers for? Yay or nay for Cassian and Nesta?